There are lots of things that you can do to help drive awareness and engagement of Patient Access with your patients - to support you in this, we’re offering our advice and resources.
Hints and tips to increase your practice's Patient Access registrations:
- allow patients to register online
- increase the number of appointments you offer online
- promote repeat prescription requests using a message on the right hand side of Patient Access
- advocate the service by updating your website and promoting it through your call waiting message
- utilise your waiting room screen to promote Patient Access and its benefits
- create a customised guest WiFi highlighting the benefits of the service
- use your email signature to remind your colleagues about Patient Access
- encourage and promote Patient Access via Patient Partner Groups (PPG)
- use the leaflets, posters and flyers provided by NHS England and ourselves - see below for more information
- encourage you colleagues to talk to your patients regularly about the benefits of Patient Access.
Good groups to target to help increase your Patient Access registrations:
children reaching 16 years of age
- patients aged 18-25 with a mobile phone number recorded
patients with long-term conditions
- patients on a repeat prescriptions - request that the patient signs up to the electronic prescription service (EPSr2) and nominates a pharmacy. This will allow their prescriptions to be sent to the pharmacy electronically, via the Spine, removing the need for the patient to pick up a paper prescription. This will also increase your EPSr2 stats.
To help you promote Patient Access to your patients, we have developed posters, appointment cards and flyers which you can download and print:
- poster (A2)
- poster (A3)
- poster (A4)
- appointment cards
- flyer for patients
- Twitter graphics for you to use on your accounts
- content for GP practice TV screens - if you are an Envisage Coda screen customer, you can access this content from your Envisage Coda media library.
If you’d like us to send you some copies of the posters, appointment cards and flyers, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to our resources, NHS England also offer a range of guidance and promotional material which can be found here. This toolkit has recently been refreshed to include tips on updating your website, copy for press releases and social media, as well as a time saving calculator and a range of fact sheets. If you have any queries about these resources, please contact email@example.com.
NHS England also recently ran a series of free, weekly sessions to help you and your patients get the most out of online services. The sessions lasted between 45-60 minutes and recordings are available here.